Shikha!

The flame....to ignite some thoughts!

Friday, January 22, 2010

YUMMYNESS TIME
My dear brother in law who is extremely talented but somehow because he isn't like the conventional indian man always got stuck in life. He is the who introduced me to "pena colada" mocktail as a teenager, vegtarian hot dogs, baked brocoli and cheese and many many more yummy things. He also paints really well and very gifted. Below is a recipe he has come up with for low sugar strawberry jam. I know I don't have a vast readership but posting here for those who few who read and to pass on to your friends. I promise to make this for my friends and family.

Best to use Agave Syrup from the Agave cactus instead of Cane/Beet Sugar and or Honey.

I used Honey because I couldnt procure the Agave syrup in time.

STRAWBERRY JAM
Ingredients:

3 Boxes of 300gms each Strawberries
2 Tablespoons of Honey or Agave Syrup
1/2 or even less (the better) Teaspoon of Lemon Juice

Note: Lemon Juice provides the Preservative and Pectin (the natural gelling agent)

Method:

1. Chop the berry into small cubes
2. Heat a non-stick pan (shallow) more like the Chinese Wok or Desi Baandli
3. Add the chopped berries on medium to high heat CONSTANTLY STIRRING
4. Continue stirring till SEMI-THICK STICKY JELLY is achieved THEN LOWER HEAT TO MINIMUM
5. Add Agave Syrup and Lemon Juice
6. Transfer cooled Jam into DRY GLASS Jar*

Note: * It is important the jar is GLASS as the jam in the fridge will last easily for 3-5weeks.
7. Remover from stove


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home